No gain, yes pain, Yes gain? Yes pain!

April 1, 2013,


Good morning.  Is it?

As I tried to get out of bed this morning, pain crippled me. My back screamed from the pain due to muscle rigidity in my lower back. This can last all day. Or not.

Most mornings I feel like a beetle flipped over onto it's back and can't get turned back over on my legs. When my husband comes up to see if I am still alive (I'm not so much an early riser) he will help me by pulling me up by my arms. Once I am sitting it's a lot easier to stand. Anyway, on my own, with some grunts, groans, nasty language, and controlled breathing, I make it to vertical.

After my meds, coffee, breakfast after 1/2 hour of waiting for the meds to be absorbed, I go get on the treadmill. ( Grunting, groaning, aching, swearing on a bad day).


Exercise! 

Exercise is the most important thing I do outside of swallowing about 20 pills throughout the day. Getting on the treadmill for about 45 daily minutes helps immensely. It also keeps my heart in shape. I also do isotonic exercises with a stretchy elastic band ( from my PT) and lift weights for my arms.



A lot of folks don't like the treadmill.

It is a life saver for me. I have always been active and it is hard to realize that you can't do the things you used to do very easily anymore. Or without seriously damaging yourself. For example, I love tennis. But the thought of making those quick movements on my ankles gives me shivers. I would turn my ankle for sure. I did that just walking down the stairs the other day! So the treadmill gets my muscles loosened up and really helps with the pain. And I practice balance by changing the up and down angles at frequent intervals.

"Doctor, I can't seem to keep the rhythm when I am dancing!" 
"Well were you ever able to dance?" 
"No!"

Balance

Balance also gets tricky with PD. I guess what I am saying is that I ain't gonna be walking on a tightrope over Niagra Falls anytime soon. But I do try to push the limits all the time in my own little ways. For example, I try to pile up in my arms as many dishes as I can from the dishwasher just to show myself I am not completely useless in this world. So shattered glass yet! Woo Hoo!

So be glad that you can walk a straight line, lift your feet so you don't trip over them, walk without dragging a leg--all sober!

Hey have a happy day.





Comments

Popular Posts