Where have all the R.N.'s gone? Or a day in the life of Nurse Exemplar, R.N.

Wednesday,

June 18th, 2014



Ok, I am fairly back to normal.

Except Jackie yells at me when he thinks I am doing too much.

And I do try to do more than I should.

                                                                (I am getting yelled at fairly frequently.)

But I deserve it and it makes me sit down and be lazy.

Not good.

I am very, very comfortable with laziness.


However, I need to go back to work to make a little cashola and be a nurse.

By the way--where in the heck have all the nurses gone.?

I am talking about the regular Registered Nurses that take care of you when you  are sick.

The nurses that treat you WHOLISTICALLY?

I have not found one yet.

Everyone is intent on making big money. The grad schools are trying very hard to lure BSN's back to school. To my mind the more indoctrination into a certain way of thinking(medicine)--the further you are pulled from wholistic, sensible, sensitive critical thinking.

Let me give you an example:

I have just been through the health care system with a major surgery--we all know this, I have been whining about it for months now.

There was some info I needed that would have helped me in my recovery, info that I certainly would have shared with MY patients and info that is not useless or obvious.


Info such as:

                     1} Should I shave my head?
                            Answer: " YES! Unequivically yes!"
                            Answer I got: "oh don't worry about it. The doctor will tke care of it".
                            Translation (my own) "I have no idea, it doesn't matter, quit bugging me with stupid                
                                      questions".
                             Correct answer:"Yes you should. It will be easier for the doctor to do the surgery,
                                                        and it will be easier for you to take care of at home. Also, it will
                                                        reduce the possibility of infection, which you really don't want,
                                                        because then everything has to come out!".

BIG Difference huh?

                         2} "Are you claustrophobic?"

                                 Answer: "Why? Because I have to get two MRI's?"
                                  Response: "No, because we have to immobilize your head with this toture device and then you will have to have your head bolted to the OR table and will have to lie still for at least 5 hours with this heavy metal device covering a lot of your face. A lot of folks don't like it. Oh by the way do you like or dislike going to the dentist?

                                   Answer: "OK, I am claustrophic, I can do the MRI but the head thing sounds
                                                   horrifying. "(It IS).

                                                   " The dentist? I do NOT like the dentist! Who does?"



                                   Response: "Well we have to drill into your cranium with a drill that is about 20 x
                                                    stronger than a dental drill. You might find that quite uncomfortable."

                                                    "But some people it doesn't really bother."


                                     Answer: "Wow ! Thanks Miss Nurse Exemplar! I really appreciate the
                                                    information!"


                                     Response:  "I am very glad to give it to you. We find patients who are better                                                                   
                                                        informed prior to the actual surgery have better outcomes."


Big difference in the info (laughable) I got!


So here is my solemn pledge. I will NOT go to Grad school to learn grad nurse ideas.

They are too far away from nursing and I don't want to be a doctor. I love being a nurse.

Pee, poop, puke, mucous, blood, crazies, babies, life, death, all of it, I love.

Til the next...

Love and Peace....











                                                   






Comments

Popular Posts