Guess what! I'm being interviewed....

Today I was interviewed for a video that will be shown to those people who will be diagnosed with PD.

(This is very exciting for this little girl from Michigan.)

The diagnosis is life changing . 

About 60,000 people are diagnosed with PD every year.

That is more than the combined number of people diagnosed with mulitple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, and Lou Gehrig's disease.(Parkinson's Disease Foundation, 2010)

Four key motor symptoms are: 

Tremor of the hands, arms, legs, or jaw
Muscle rigidity or stiffness of the limbs and trunk
Slowness of movement
Postural Instability



It can be traumatic, make you question everything and everybody.

It may make you cry, it may make you unsure about everything...what does the future look like ???

It looks somewhat like me. I say somewhat because every Parky is a little bit different, has a bit of a different presentation to another.

But we is all in the same boat. 


I hope that it will be useful for new onset Parky's.

The diagnosis of PD can be s shock, especially when you're young. This can be a very lonely and depressing bit of news to receive and if giving people a cue that their future doesn't have to be as dire and debilitating as one might first consider it to be, then my work here is done.

Now on the video I was interviewed, got to show some shortcuts I have found to avoid difficulties that I have in some motor skills. Played the guitar, showed off my skill on the treadmill. Jackie and Aja and Sophia were all involved as well.

My favorite thing was getting to play bass guitar with Jack; my badass grandma thang. Very fun.

And if you aren't having fun then you ain't livin'.

I sure don't want to live my life for the "what ifs?" and negative imaginings that will never occur.

So get out there in the world all you Parky's!. Join a club, take a class, write a story, keep a journal, be kind and patient with yourself and others.

AND Watch out! Because BadAss GrandMa may be comin' to your town!

Until then or next blog,


Peace and Love to you all....

Resources

Retrieved from Parkinson's Disease Foundation, www.pdf.org. Understanding Parkinson's;   Parkinson's FAQ, 2010.


Comments

Popular Posts