Sorrows of the heart at 0200....


sorrows of the heart at 0200 when you cannot sleep



When the closest of those to us break our hearts....

the only thing to do

the only thing I can do
is revisit the past

so I offer you a bit of my past that is long gone with the party line dial telephone, Idlewood, Comet,

asparagus picked fresh....


I know nobody much reads this and that makes me very happy. I am not in the market for anything. so fish-mongers be on your way.

The rest of you get it so enjoy:




The Persistence of Memory
By
Caroline Robinson


Memory walks before me and
pulls me from behind;
in a moment time can drift
away from now to long ago
green fields of alfalfa and milkweed,
where surprised snakes in up-ended haystacks
slither away, black ropes twisting through
rough, dried yellow bundles;
purple and scarlet Hollyhock ladies,
bravely smiling in broken flower dresses
glad for their moment
soon discarded, wilt in the dust;
bumblebees hovering low, lazy
tempting the jelly jar to capture them,
angrily bumping fat bodies against their prison walls,
sweaty hands they see but cannot attack
feel buzzing anger vibrate through the glass
finally, dangerously, lift the lid;
once again freed, content
shopping blossom to blossom
fat with summer nectar, all is forgotten;
then the old cow pasture moos and I tramp through
finding the faint path to
the black pond deep in the forest
where bloodsuckers still wait for me
and the oak still lies on its side where it fell
when lightening struck it down
so many years ago;
where fat, ripe blackberries hang thickly
bursting warm and sweet on my tongue;
the past then wanders over
to the long gone barn that
rustled with each step and
sunlight broke through
slotted weather-worn boards
shining stripes into empty stalls,
dust, straw, skunk, and rotting wood
mixed an odor of disuse;
stepping out a stiff, creaking door
echoing giggles drop
from apple trees in the orchard
like years falling away
like the rope swing blurring sky and ground
above and beneath a supine figure
hair sweeping the grass;
the night sang me to sleep
on sweet smelling sheets dried by the sun
its song of crickets and whip-o-wills,
the soft wind blowing gently through the screens
the scent of pine and lilac and cows
lowing good--night from the next farm over;
then anxious calls like wild cats and crows
lure me back to where I started
staring into a computer’s face;
dog and kids, dinner and friends
pull at me like time
to be here now
and so I am, for now, Here
ever present in the place where
                                                          time and memory persist



Comments

Popular Posts