Footsteps of Nelson Algren, Jack Kerouac, Mike Royko

January 23, 2014


Growing up small town I dreamed of big city life.

                                                                               Who doesn't? 


Moving to the Big Town I have alternately loved and hated it.


                                                Right now I am loving it--under a blanket with a brandy close by.

Drowning in Algren and Kerouac, Bellow and Studs.

Read Mike Royko everyday until he left the Trib.

                                  Still miss him...

I cancelled my subscription about the same time.

I worked at a place in the City that burned down.

We had to tranport what was usable to a warehouse on the near south side of town.

We loaded the old creaky freight elevators with "da goods"

The doors opened to a huge empty dimly lit room.

The few windows skipped across the top of one wall.

     Barely admitting light.

It looked like a place where many many unknown lives were ended in a private hail of gunfire.  Maybe left there for the coppers to find maybe hauled away to another location....

There was a restaurant on a corner nearby called "Yes Sir Senator!"

Closed, the sign still running vertically up the side in neon lights.

Lots of deals made there. I'm sure.

 I imagine private dining with enormous cuts of beef, rare, pastas, huge buttered rolls, and booze lots of illegal contraband booze.

Guffawing slaps on the back with bits of beef spraying.

Maybe some Harry James in the background....

Contracts made (if ya know what I mean).


Many times have haunted the great old jazz club "The Green Mill" on the North side.

                                              (BTW it is featured in a terrific movie with James Caan called "Thief")

It has a throwback to the 30's feel. Makes a girl want a bourbon and foxtrot.


***Recently found another gem !!!!!***



Phyllis'

Musical 

Inn 


They poured drinks for Nelson Algren and ME !!

The place also has a throw back feel. 

SO COOL for this small town looking for the Big City girl.

I mean can you imagine walking the same streets as Algren and Kerouac and Terkel and Bellow?

Big footsteps to fill.

I am going to make a stab at it.

How can I let down my heroin addicted alcoholic fathers?

I can't....


Until next time,


"I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places..."














Comments

Popular Posts