Parkinson's Post Introduction

Fun Facts to know about Parkinson's Disease:

Since April is Parkinson's Disease Awareness Month, I had a revelation ( from the Easter Bunny?) to blog for at least this month on the subject.

I have this wonderful disease. I was diagnosed with it seven years ago at the age of 47. I knew there was something wrong with me for about a year and a half previous to the diagnosis.

The first thing I noticed is my right pinkie started tremoring and I had the hand writing of a 999 year old.

It took me ELEVEN, YES I SAID ELEVEN, healthcare providers of one kind or another to actually get a diagnosis.

And the best part??? I am a nurse and at the time of the onset of symptoms I was working on an NEUROLOGY floor in an acute care hospital.

I was seen by neurologists at my workplace, I was tested for Lyme Disease, heavy metal poisoning, thyroid issues, had an MRI of the brain, had ACUPUNCTURE--that was very relaxing but didn't do s^&t--several seeks of Physical Therapy. I think the Physical Therapist got mad at me because I could NOT relax my right arm no matter how hard she or I tried.

She finally sent me to a chiropractor who said one of the smartest things ever said by man: "There is something seriously wrong with you, I don't know what it is, but if I were you I would go to another institution to get diagnosed".

My husband said"you are going to see a doctor at {my alma mater}". He looked up a Neurologist at this univeristy hospital and I went to see him. He checked me over and in about 10 minutes he told me "You have Parkinson's Disease". Then I began to cry....

Comments

Popular Posts